We assist our clients with:-
• First-Tier Tribunals (Mental Health) which are also known as Mental Health Tribunals;
• Upper Tribunals (appeals from Mental Health Tribunals);
• Hospital Managers' Hearings (if merited);
• General mental health law advice in relation to a person's detention under the Mental Health Act 1983 (or treatment in the community) including their section, medication/treatment, leave and other relevant issues;
• Displacement of Nearest Relative proceedings in the County Court;
• S.117 Mental Health Act 1983 aftercare issues following a patient's discharge into the community including potentially seeking reimbursement if fees have been wrongly paid out for s.117 services.
We can advise detained patients, Nearest Relatives and sometimes other family/friends.
We can offer advice, assistance and representation in mental health law under the "legal aid scheme" or privately. Financial eligibility for legally aided advice is governed by strict Legal Aid Agency guidelines. Assistance with Mental Health Tribunals is not subject to a financial eligibility test and our assistance is therefore always free for these.
For legally aided work, we generally assist patients located in the following areas and their environs: Milton Keynes, Northampton, Bedford, Aylesbury, Oxford and Luton.
A consultant solicitor with this firm runs the pre-eminent mental health law online resource.
Please contact us for any more information.